Thursday, December 13, 2012

I Know What Anne Hathaway is Getting From Santa For Christmas!

Ho! Ho! Ho! Is this gonna be on Santa's nice list or naughty list?

I'm talking about that curious incident that happened to Anne Hathaway at the New York premiere of her new film Les Miserables. "Little Anne Hathaway" decided to show up and the paparazzi had a field day! And by little Anne Hathaway,  I mean....ehhh, you know what I mean! It was all over the news!

The next day (and night), Anne was all over American TV saying how mortified she was that it happened, while managing to also talk about her movie. Pretty convenient, huh?

She said in a morning show:
"It kind of made me sad on two accounts. One was that I was very sad that we live in an age when someone takes a picture of another person in a vulnerable moment and rather than delete it, and do the decent thing, sells it."

And I’m sorry that we live in a culture that commodifies sexuality of unwilling participants, which brings us back to Les Mis, that's what my character is, she is someone who is forced to sell sex to benefit her child because she has nothing and there's no social safety net."
Now, I love this girl. LOVE HER. With or without her panties.

But there are some points I'd like to raise from this...because, you know, it matters to the quality of my life. And yours. [/sarcasm]

First, I've kept tabs of her Saturday Night Live appearances, the three times she's hosted that show and I've seen most of her movies. (Did I mention that I love her? LOVE HER!) There's this one particular movie that stands out to me right now: Havoc, where she didn't seem to mind baring it...for the sake of art. So, I'm not so sure if she was such an "unwilling participant"--- as she said in the interview, in this one. (BTW, clever use of words --- "unwilling participant". It has the tone of a publicist!)  Anyway, to have her "commodified" wouldn't be so pitiful, nor right, nor wrong in this context. Because this is how the game called "Hollywood" works (where Hollywood = commodity). And I guess, she has to play it, if she wants to survive it, right? Work is work. Business is business.

I know, I know...you will probably want to point out --- why would a movie like Les Miserables, with its powerhouse cast, resort to this type of publicity? I could be mistaken, but ...people have shorter attention span these days. We are easily distracted by a lot of things. We are doing ten things at the same time with our gadgets and our social media profiles. A movie like this? It's actually a hardsell.  Especially when not everyone appreciates musicals....and culture, for that matter. At least not a typical, average movie-goer. Les Miserables could be easily forgotten with the next scandal or hot news (named Kim Kardashian) swooping --- errr whoring --- the spotlight for their next 15 minutes. Because so much stuff is going on in the world already and we have 24/7 access to it, the hype around the movie has to be sustained. And how you do that? With stunts like this! Boom!

Second, why she wasn't wearing any undies is really not anybody's business. Not even her mom's. She can do whatever she pleases, no matter how many women will say it's uncomfortable to be without clothing down there. Thrush, cooties and whatnot? That's her problem!

However, anytime a woman steps out of her bedroom wearing no panties should be aware that anything can happen. Much so, if she's a woman stepping onto the red carpet knowing these paparazzi are gonna be crouched down to the ground with their zoomers zooming up the butt. I've learned this watching a little bit of TMZ 101. Apparently, Anne didn't. Not even after a similar incident with Paris, Britney and Lindsay. I'm not saying she brought this upon herself. Or that she shouldn't have forgotten her undies. All I'm saying is --- being aware, of yourself and your surroundings? Very important!

Third, I saw the photo without the pixelation and I dunno about you but... if you've seen one vagina, you've seen 'em all. Which is to say that, this exposure? Not really a big deal!  Only, the media is making it so. Why? Because she's gorgeous Anne Hathaway, with a high profile movie about to hit the theaters. Sleazy photographers will grab the opp to sell something audience (us!) will buy.

Which goes back to my first point: This is a stunt. That needs to trend and remain trending. It got people to talk, at least for a day (or two, or five).  And it will have people remember, at least until the movie starts its run and then people can talk about the movie then.

Meanwhile...Hollywood? The system wins again. Someone's definitely Ho! Ho! Ho-ing! all the way to the bank with this. $$$

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...