Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Life In Plastic, It's Fantastic?

I confess, I haven't been Barbie-educated in 25 or so years.

Because I've only been buying toys for little boys --- owing to the fact that I don't have a daughter; or that ALL my godchildren are boys (not my choice, it just happened!) --- I had no idea that the amount of multi-cultural versions of her one can find at stores these days, is enough to create a small, United Nations of 12-inch tall women. Or the doll version of a Miss Universe pageant.

Lately though, my one and only 5-year old niece has taken interest in Barbie and would prefer these dolls as gifts. Checking online for what type I could pick for her, it dawned on me that making just a single Barbie purchase is stressful!

I've been so clueless about the number of things Barbie's career and personal life have evolved into. The bitch apparently became an astronaut, was once a hacker, switched species to become a mermaid, and tried public service by ascending into the Presidency, no less. These she did while dealing with cancer and apparently a divorce, which turned out to be untrue.

What the?!

The Barbie I used to know only had wordly stuff to deal with like wardrobe choices, or living in a house with make-shift furniture. Or this:

Photo from Flickr

But, creatively so, Barbie's plastic-fantastic life has hit a lot of lows and highs than reality can handle.

So, when did Barbie's life get so complicated? And why does Mattel assume it's what little girls are looking for?

Have you gone Barbie shopping for your daughter or niece, only to find that you cannot pick which one to get because of the amount of Barbie choices laid before you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...