Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 New Year's Goals To Keep. Good Luck to Me!

I suck at keeping New Year's resolutions and I guess this is true for many people. How many do you know stick by theirs by the end of the year? I'd like to think that many of us fail because, in most cases, New Year's Resolutions aren't keepable.

The list? It's great to put them down on paper at the beginning of the year because the list gives a semblance of order, of having life "together". Who wouldn't want to start feeling this during the first few days?

But when it comes to actually putting that list into action? Admit it, most of us tend to fall off the wagon. We go back to old habits, perhaps thinking, "What's one day less? There's 364 more days left. I can start that diet TOMORROW."

I gave up making resolutions years ago.

But recently, a friend online shared to me her list and I was inspired by it. She didn't have grand goals and projects to keep for the rest of the year. Get into gardening, write a novel or learn a new language? Those were not on her list. Most of what's in it are quite realistic and doable goals. They were as simple as reminding herself to apply SPF regularly, or add more color to her wardrobe.

That's it.

Nothing ambitious. Not Mission Impossible. But the improvements to the quality of her life? Definite!

And I suppose, that's what resolutions are for, right? To make life easier and stress-free.

It took me eight days to come up with my own list of doable goals this year. I struggled because it was hard to make a distinction when there are so many really simple stuff around me I can easily take for granted and secondly, there were challenges I'd like to take up so that I'd feel I've accomplished big things and big deals. (Nerd!)

So my list? It's a mix of both. But it is without resolutions like: lose weight, or save money, or travel more and see the world. Because, really? Who am I kidding?

Anyway, here are goals I'd like to do this year. Both the easy and not-so-easy:

 Always charge the mobile phone every night, so that I don't lose battery  power in the middle of the day, or when I'm out of the house and I need to get hold of someone.

 Always bring a list to the supermaket, so that I wouldn't succumb to impulse-buying, which I've been really guilty of last year.

 Don't be too quick about deleting files on the Hard Drive. The HD has plenty of space. It's not gonna break down if I take even half of that space. I might regret cleaning it up too quickly, when there is a file I'd like to access. Like today (looking for that darn file.... :P).

 Get mani-pedi 2x a month, which basically means I have to cut down on this and have started doing so during the holidays, in fact.

 Buy nail polish less. I was doing the math yesterday (Hah! Like I can "do math" when I suck at it!). There are 52 weeks in a year. If I only get 2 mani-pedis in a month, that means, I only get to use 26 or fewer colors. Why would I need 100 different polish bottles?

 Always wear accessories when I go out. The necklaces in particular. I have collected quite a handful. I realize that most of them? I only got to use once and then they're stashed away in the box. What's the point of having all these when they're in the box? Some women keep their good china to use only during special parties. I keep my accessories. Not anymore, this year. I resolve to use every single piece of accessory I own as often as I can.

 Get more plain white shirts. Because they work well with the accessories, with no fail.

 Shop for classic, timeless clothes. Do not become a victim of any trend. (Aztec print? Uhm, no.) I need to remind myself I'm turning 40 this year. While I really like wearing something like these photo examples of dresses to bits (and that my closet is currently full of it), I should be more inclined to wear something closer to my age now and hold the cutesy florals, laces, pinks and ruffles a notch down. (A pity because I just spotted this really colorful floral dress online!) This also means I should pick out safer choices for shoes. Which means I have to stop lemming for pink flats with huge bows, or stop shopping at the Kids' Section. Remember: I'm gonna be 40, not 4!

No more of these...
Pretty things...
 On a more serious note, I would like to ease up on Social Media this year and not get too excited clicking the "Share" button. Not every public outburst by some unknown person, who may just happen to be experiencing a bad day, is news-worthy. I could be condemning a guy for going ballistic in a viral video today...and then someone close to me could be starring in another viral video the next day. So, imploring the laws of Karma, I won't be clicking the share button for someone's major, major "Amalayer" outburst hoping Karma catches on what I've been doing, and does not get me or people close to me on Youtube. "Dear Karma, I'm not sharing that video...so, please spare me and the people I love from being on any video, too."

 This is a tall order and I may stand to fail at this but...I would like to eat at McDonald's (and similar fast-food chains) LESS.  It's all this "Health is Wealth" bullshit  that comes with aging. And I'm a Virgo health-nut, can you blame me?  I'm mourning for the fries, that is the truth. But I haven't had McDonald's fries (or any fries actually!) since the holidays, I hope to continue the streak. For the rest of the year, if possible. *fingers crossed*

Do you have your own list of goals to keep for this year? Let me have a look!

1 comment:

  1. My only resolution this year is to pray more. :-p And yes, less social media has been soooooo gooooood to me. It was not even a resolution. Just a decision incrementally and now I only feel the need to check on FB (which is the only one I have left) every week. Nakakaloka na ang judgementalism sa social media.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...